This letter was originally posted on this site:
An open letter to NJEA members
So, what did that get us? This:
That bottom graph tells the whole story. If we do nothing, our pensions will be sunk in 12 years. If we do nothing, we’re merely deck chairs on the Titanic. Now, I don’t know about you, but I’d rather fight with Rose and Jack than end up as flotsam and jetsam in the North Atlantic.
So, what can you do? Plenty. Here are 5 simple things you can do starting today to join the fight:
- Become a Pension Activist. Go to the NJEA’s special pension website and sign up. Please don’t say you have no time for this. None of us do, but we have no choice. And besides, no one can fight for your pension better than you. If we all don’t fight for this, there will be nothing left to fight for.
- Contact your legislator. You’ll find yours here. Call, write, tweet, email, send a carrier pigeon. Do whatever it takes, but make sure they know you expect them to follow the law—the law that had bipartisan support. The full assembly is up for re-election this year, so be sure to contact them first.
- Click on the resources tab for lots of information including the complete NJEA PowerPoint referenced above.
- Join the Payday Twitter Storm. Every 15th and 30th of the month NJEA members are tweeting our state elected officials reminding them that we made our pension payment because it’s the law, so why shouldn’t they? Use the hashtag #fundnjpension. Not on Twitter? Well, what are you waiting for?
- Stand in solidarity with your NJEA brothers and sisters across the state by wearing black on 5/6/15. That’s when the NJ Supreme Court will hear arguments in our case. Post photos of you and your colleagues standing up for your rights, our rights,our deferred compensation on social media.